The Trump administration is moving to end New York City's congestion pricing plan, which charges vehicles entering the city in certain areas, then uses tolls to upgrade its aging transit systems.
The Trump administration said the federal government has jurisdiction over highways leading into the city and is revoking its approval of the controversial program over concerns it unfairly burdens working-class residents in the region.
"CONGESTION PRICING IS DEAD," President Trump said on social media. "Manhattan, and all of New York, is SAVED. LONG LIVE THE KINGI"
New York, which launched the program just last month, is vowing to fight Trump, arguing the program is helping minimise traffic and travel times. "We are a nation of laws, not ruled by a king," New York Gov Kathy Hochul said. "We'll see you in court."
The program poses a $9 (£7.15) toll on vehicles entering Manhattan between 60th Street and the southern tip of the island in the Financial District. The toll is in place on weekdays from 5 am to 9 pm and on weekends from 9 am to 9 pm.
New US Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy notified Gov Hochul that he was rescinding approval of the program and would work with officials to halt the tolls.
He called the program a "slap in the face to working class Americans".
"Commuters using the highway system to enter New York City have already financed the construction and improvement of these highways through the payment of gas taxes and other taxes," he argued. "The toll program leaves drivers without any free highway alternative, and instead, takes more money from working people to pay for a transit system and not highways. It's backwards and unfair."
New York officials vowed immediately to fight the Trump administration. Its transit agency, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), on Wednesday asked a judge to make a declaratory judgement to prevent the administration from moving forward with plans to end the program.

0 Comments